Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Wag"-a-"Bond"

The biggest chicken n egg story in my life will remain this mystery: did I always love travelling and hence land up with this current lifestyle I lead or am I just soooo used to travel that I think I love it?!!!

I still remember way back in primary and middle school when M used to just wait for summer hols so that she could travel looong to meet her grandparents while I used to look forward to hols just to read tons of comics, enjoy icecreams, cycling, cricket and watch loadsa TV...yep, travelling to meet cousins / visit hill stations was fun, but not for more than 5 days...holidays meant lazing around in home sweet home!!!

Anyways, the crux remains that I've discovered over the last few years that I truly enjoy travelling...and I do get quite a lot of opportunities to travel and further reinforce my thoughts...

The most charming mode of travel will remain trains to me...Chn and B'lore railway stations have become second home...(like I keep telling S, anything more than 6 hours I get, I'm in Chn...and like I keep telling everyone, if Laloo has turned around Indian Railways, he definitely owes atleast a small thanks to me ;))...

While I'm usually gloomy on the way back to B'lore, the journey from B'lore to Chn is greatly looked forward to...everything right from the hurrying home from work, forgetting to take the ticket printout, getting reminded by family, gulping down a fast dinner, breaking my own records for speed of packing, contemplating on the mode of transport to the station, fighting with the auto fellow, fighting the auto noise levels and screaming over the phone, running into the station, having that hot cup of milk, saying hi to those invariable acquaintances you run into and alas, putting that middle berth up and juuuust crashing...whew...

Off late my exposure to sub urban trains has increased too...and thats not just through real travel in them but through "virtual travel" as well!! Almost everyday, I experience the train journey from Chetpet to Tambaram and gosh, I do look forward to it :)...overcrowded common compartments, sometimes crowded first class compartments, women who jump off the train before it comes to a complete halt, drunken men who tell you their life stories, bad networks and rough handoffs interrupting an engrossing conversation, the flower girls at the station and the woman's voice over the speaker that doesn't seem to tire of the monotonous anouncements it has to make...

Like S told me recently, its not long before I stop travelling alone all over...hmmm, it's been a joy ride so far and its only going to get a lot lot better!!! Can't waaaait :)

3 hours to go for my next train journey ;)!!!...

7 comments:

SS said...

Ya you did manage to add suburban trains in your already versatile portofilio ;-)

Cant wait either - for the next train 3 hrs from now, the train tomorrow and for those trips ever after..Hmm

Santhosh said...

I think Chetpet to Thamabram in the suburban trains deserves a separate post :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome blogging Kavi.
-AK.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kavitha!!!
Your post did bring back my train travel memories ...Chennai to Delhi.
Completely with you over "gulping down a fast dinner, breaking my own records for speed of packing, contemplating on the mode of transport to the station".

Read a few of your posts. Will be back again :)

Prashant Chaudhary said...

Nice work kavi.
I like the way you write.i will visit your blog for more write ups.

Archana Achuthan said...

I felt like i travelled in a train after reading this post :)Good One!!Read my blog 2 if time permits!

Anonymous said...

I have been shuttling between Bangalore and Chennai for almost 7 years.. Enjoyed every line of it..